Students earn the Title IV Federal aid they originally received by remaining enrolled in and participating in all classes for which they are registered. Participation may be through physical attendance or active participation such as submission of homework or participation in course discussions for online courses.
The amount of federal aid that has been earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if 30% of the period of enrollment has been completed prior to withdrawal, the student has earned 30% of his or her aid, but has not earned the remaining 70%. Return of Title IV funds are based on this 70% unearned percentage.
Once a student has attended 60% of the semester for which he or she is registered, the student is considered to have earned all of the financial aid originally awarded and will not be required to return any funds.
If the student received (or the student’s parent received on their behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, NNU must return an amount equal to the lesser of:
- the student’s institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage, or
- the student's Title IV program assistance multiplied by the unearned percentage.