Graduate Financial Aid

Federal Grants and Loans

The United States Government, through the Department of Education, has made funds available for federal grant programs. Graduate students are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant once they have completed an undergraduate degree per federal regulations.

  • Federal TEACH Grant: NNU has chosen to participate in offering the TEACH Grant to students in certain master level programs pursuing teaching degrees in high need areas. To be eligible for the TEACH Grant a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, a student must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. Students must also complete TEACH entrance counseling and an Agreement to Serve if eligible. 
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: An unsubsidized loan is one that the government does not pay the interest on the loan while the student is in school, in a grace period, or in deferment. Payments of principal and interest may be deferred while enrolled at least half-time as a degree-seeking student. Repayment begins six months after graduation or discontinuance of at least half-time, degree-seeking enrollment. A student must complete the FAFSA to be considered for an unsubsidized loan. First-time borrowers must additionally complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling to better understand repayment and options.