Admission of the associate-degree-prepared student to the MSN FNP program is through the RN to BSN program. The applicant must complete the RN-BSN program successfully in its entirety and graduate with a BSN degree. An applicant may also apply to an MSN program after 50% of the BSN program is complete in order to accelerate the completing of the BSN to MSN pathway. For more on the RN-BSN-MSN or the MSN programs please see the links below:
Please note: Completion of the prerequisites and baccalaureate content listed above does not guarantee admission into the MSN FNP program. You must first apply for the program after completion of the above courses. The MSN FNP Director will review your file and grades and may invite you for an interview.
Academic Standing and Dismissal
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher to remain in good standing in the RN to BSN Program at Northwest Nazarene University.
- If a student drops below a cumulative GPA of 2.75, the student will receive a warning letter from the program director and be placed on academic probation for the duration of one semester. Academic probation includes an academic plan for improvement created collaboratively and signed by the student and the program director.
- The student must earn a minimum GPA of 2.75 for the semester of probation. If the student fails to earn a minimum GPA of 2.75, if the cumulative GPA still falls below the required 2.75, or if the student fails to meet the requirements of the academic improvement plan, the student may be academically dismissed from the program. Students are notified of academic dismissal by the program director in writing.
- Students must pass all content classes with a grade of C or better. Students who fail to pass content classes with a C or better must re-enroll and pass the class with a C or better in order for the class to contribute toward graduation requirements in the content area.
Nursing Degree Requirements for RN to BSN
Nursing Courses Required - 27 Semester Credits
Required for completion of BSN Degree:
All courses are available online through NNU.
- A minimum of 24 credits from Northwest Nazarene University to fulfill the residency requirement; and
- A minimum of 124 credits are needed to graduate from the RN to BSN Program.
Note: Additional general education credits may be required for students transferring credits from programs not listed on the "Transfer of Associate Degrees for the RN to BSN Program" page.
Graduation requirements for the RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing:
- Completion of required courses in the RN to BSN Program
- Total credits - Completion of a minimum of 124 credits which includes transfer course work and credits for NCLEX-RN exam.
- Quality of grades - Cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
- General education program - Completion of any required general education course work if needed after transfer work accepted.
- Submit a graduation application according to the following deadlines:
- June 1 for graduation at the end of Fall semester
- October 15 for graduation at the end of Spring semester
- January 15 for graduation at the end of Summer semester