25 - 28 semester credits required. Fully online. There are two tracks within this endorsement:
- Teacher Leader – Instructional Specialist Endorsement
- Teacher Leader – Special Education Endorsement.
Courses may be approved by the program director to be taken as a part of an MED or EDS Program. Appropriate courses from previous graduate coursework may be approved by the program director.
This endorsement is designed for those seeking formal Instructional Coaching positions. The program emphasizes the teacher as an instructional leader. Skills appropriate to goal setting, maximizing human potential, servant leadership, and the unique aspects of mentoring teachers are emphasized.
A significant expectation is that each student will identify a teacher to be mentored specifically in the area of instructional improvement. The student will also complete a 90-hour practicum focusing on mentoring the identified teacher. In the last semester, each student will enroll in EDUC7514B Teacher Leader Portfolio Binder (0-1) credits where they will upload their portfolio.
The time required to complete the Teacher Leader Endorsement will depend on whether it is included in a degree program or taken as endorsement only, and how many previous courses are approved by the program director. Successful completion qualifies the graduate for recommendation to the State of Idaho for a Teacher Leader endorsement in their content area on an Idaho Teacher Certificate.
It is the student's responsibility to submit the appropriate paperwork and fees to the Idaho State Department of Education for obtaining certifications and endorsements in Idaho. Current forms and information are available from the ISDE website. Students should check the Internet and other sources for specific requirements for certification in other states.
The program is in a fully online format. Courses in this program are fully online, but may have synchronous video class sessions. We encourage students to attend these sessions as they are available. Usually, archived sessions are available for review.
Every Teacher Leader student will be registered for the approved accreditation and assessment software during EDUC8000 Orientation: Graduate Education. There is a fee associated with this course.
Admission Requirements - Teacher Leader Endorsement
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited college or university.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the baccalaureate program.
- Certification/Licensure as a classroom teacher, school counselor, or school psychologist, based on a recommendation from a state-approved higher education preparation program.
- Approval by the Graduate Education Admissions Committee.
The Graduate Education Admissions Committee may approve exceptions to regular admission requirements.
Application Requirements - Teacher Leader Endorsement
All applicants to the program are responsible for familiarity with Idaho Code Section 33-1208; no person convicted of a felony or who would otherwise be denied certification or have certification revoked under Idaho Code 33-1208 will be admitted to the Teacher Leader program.
The following requirements must be received by Admissions a minimum of one week before classes start, and are online, mailed or emailed as indicated. For mail: Northwest Nazarene University, Attention Graduate Admissions, 623 S. University Boulevard, Nampa, ID, 83686. For email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Transcripts can be received through email if sent from an accepted digital credentialing service, such as Parchment or the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Online: application and $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Mail, or email from a digital service: official transcripts from the regionally accredited institution(s) where candidate received a bachelor’s degree. (We do not accept faxed transcripts.)
- Email or mail: a copy of candidate’s teaching certificate.
- Online: two recommendation forms completed by professional colleagues.
- Online: an Educational Leadership Evaluation Form from the candidate’s current building administrator. The online recommendation form and the online evaluation form must be completed by different individuals.
- Online: evidence of writing competency through an essay or paper from previous coursework.
Required Courses for Teacher Leader - Instructional Specialist Endorsement (Online):
Must have at least three years of teaching experience upon completion of the endorsement.
Courses may be approved to be taken as part of an M.Ed. or Ed.S. program.
Required Courses for Teacher Leader - Special Education Endorsement (Online):
Must have at least three years of teaching experience with two of those years teaching in Special Education upon completion of the endorsement. Courses may be approved to be taken as part of an M.Ed. or Ed.S. program.